Prof. Zapperi is currently professor of theoretical condensed matter physics at the University of Milano and coordinator of the Center for Complexity and Biosystems. He graduated in physics at the University of Rome “La Sapienza” and received his Ph. D. in physics from Boston University. After a postdoctoral position at ESPCI in Paris, he became tenured researcher at INFM at the University Rome and then at the University Modena and Reggio Emilia. He became then senior researcher at CNR-IENI in Milano. He has been invited as visiting scientist or visiting professor in many institutions worldwide, including Cornell University, Aalto University, Ecole Normale Superieure, Boston College, Rice University and the Weizmann Institue of Science.
Prof. Zapperi in an expert in the statistical mechanics of complex systems and has contributed to the fields of fracture, plasticity, friction, magnetism and biophysics. His most notable contributions include the theory of the Barkhausen effect in magnets, the statistical physics description of dislocations dynamics and plasticity, the analysis of size effects in fracture and recent work on the physics of cancer. He published more than 200 scientific papers in the top scientific journals, including 4 in Nature, 3 in Science, 4 in PNAS and 32 in Phys. Rev. Lett. gathering more than 9000 citations (scholar). In 2017, he co-authored with Caterina La Porta a book on the Physics of Cancer.
Prof. Zapperi is the recipent of numerous awards including the Marie Curie Excellence Award and an Advanced Grant from the European Research Council. He was elected fellow of the American Physical Society and named Finland Distinguished Professor by the Academy of Finland. He is member of the editorial boards of JSTAT and Physical Biology. He organized several international workshops, summer schools and symposia on a variety of interdisciplinary research topics, ranging from the “Physics of Cancer” to Statistical Physics of Materials and Complex Systems. He has been elected member of the council and the executive committe of the Complex Systems Society and acted as chair of the steering committee of the Conference on Complex Systems.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2018 Humboldt Research Award
2015 Fellow of the American Physical Society
2014 Finland Distinguished Professor, Academy of Finland
2004 Marie Curie Excellence Award, EU
1997 Graduate Student Award, Materials Research Society
1995 Boston University, Goldhaber Prize
2019-2020 PI: ERC Proof of concept grant: METADESIGN (150k€)
2018-2020 Co-PI: Italian-Isreal cooperation Grant: DISORDER (100k€)
2012-2018 PI: ERC Advanced Grant 2011: SIZEFFECTS (2.5M€)
2013-2016 Co-PI: Materials World Network, NSF-CNR: Crackling noise (180k€).
2011-2012 Coordinator: FP7 ERANET-Complexity pilot project, LOCAT (500k€).
2010-2011 PI: Italian PRIN 2008 project “Tribology of nanoclusters”, (64k€).
2007-2009 Coordinator: FP6 NEST Pathfinder initiative: TRIGS (1.7M€).
for a complete list see google scholar
- Csikor, C. Motz, D. Weygand, M. Zaiser and S. Zapperi, “Dislocation Avalanches, “Strain Bursts, and the Problem of Plastic Forming at the Micrometer Scale”, Science 318, 251 (2007). Highly cited paper (ISI).
- Papanikolaou, F. Bohn, R. L. Sommer, G. Durin, S. Zapperi, J. P. Sethna, “Universality beyond power laws and the average avalanche shape”, Nature Physics 7, 316 (2011).
- Papanikolaou, D. M. Dimiduk, W. Choi, J. P. Sethna, M. D. Uchic, C. F. Woodward, and S. Zapperi, “ Quasi-periodic events in crystal plasticity and the self-organized avalanche oscillator” Nature 490, 517-521 (2012). Featured on the cover of the journal.
- Vanossi, N. Manini, M. Urbakh, S. Zapperi, and E. Tosatti, “Modeling friction: from nano to meso scales”, Rev. Mod. Phys. 85, 529–552 (2013). Highly cited paper (ISI).
- Budrikis, G. Costantini, C. A. M. La Porta, S. Zapperi, “Protein accumulation in the endoplasmic reticulum as a non-equilibrium phase transition” Nature Communications 5, 3620 (2014).
- Negri, A. L. Sellerio, S. Zapperi, M. C. Miguel, “Deformation and failure of curved colloidal crystal shells”, Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) 112, 14545 (2015).
- Budrikis, S. Zapperi, “Temperature-Dependent Adhesion of Graphene Suspended on a Trench” Nano Letters 16, 387 (2016).
- Budrikis, D. Fernandez-Castellanos, S. Sandfeld, M. Zaiser, S. Zapperi, “Universal features of amorphpus plasticity”, Nature Communications 8, 15928 (2017)
- Chepizhko, C. Giampietro, E. Mastrapasqua,M. Nourazar,M. Ascagni, M. Sugni,U. Fascio,L. Leggio, C. Malinverno, G. Scita, S. Santucci,M. J. Alava, S. Zapperi, C.A.M. La Porta, “Bursts of activity in collective cell migration”, PNAS 113, 11408 (2016).
- M. Ovaska, A. Lehtinen, M. J. Alava, L. Laurson, and S. Zapperi, “Excitation Spectra in Crystal Plasticity”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 265501 (2017).